Tuesday, November 11, 2014

I'm Baaaack

At the end of October, Nathan and I took our first vacation together; we went to Hawaii! This was my first real vacation in over three years. It was a much needed trip. We actually got back on November 2nd but I spent all of last week getting back into real-world mode.

Before I resume normal blog programming, I'm going to be sharing different parts of my trip each day this week.

To be honest, Hawaii has always been last on my List of Places to Visit. I am basically terrified of the ocean and just about everything in it. When it comes to sharks, I can think myself into a panic attack. I don't like the sun, humidity, or being warm. However, I won this trip through my job and I love to travel; so it's off to Hawaii.

The trip turned out to be amazing and I'm so thankful that I had the opportunity to visit Hawaii. We stayed on the Big Island, in Captain Cook, at a beautiful bed and breakfast called A Beautiful Edge of the World. We wanted something a big more slow-paced and definitely not touristy. The bed and breakfast was probably the best choice we made. The owners were lovely and had wonderful suggestions on things to see "off the beaten path." We had a tasty breakfast each morning, complete with fruits and coffee they grew on their land. Our room was massive with a private lanai with the most amazing view of the island and ocean.

One thing I will never forget about our time on the Big Island is the noises you hear at night. Birds and bugs I have never heard before. It was amazing at how loud but peaceful it was.

This is the house we stayed in. A Beautiful Edge of the World, complete with a banana tree out front.


To get to the bed and breakfast, you had to go down a very small road. Their neighbor owned a horse (plus a donkey and chickens) that was free to roam around the area. The horse often ended up in the middle of the road. We would play many games of chicken with that horse!
 
A selection of the plants and trees you can find around the property.

 One of the lovely views you could find while walking around.

The view from our room's lanai. Hawaii had such beautiful sunsets.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you had a fun (and looks like beautiful) vacation! I'd like to head to Hawaii right about now... :)

    ReplyDelete