Monday, August 4, 2014

How Happiness Won Me A Trip To Hawaii


Do you guys remember when I posted about the Happiness Journal that I received when I started my new job? Well that same journal won me a trip to Hawaii! Shortly after finishing the journal, there was an company raffle for everyone who completed a journal. Ten raffles tickets were given out for every journal that was completed. The prizes were a trip to Hawaii or tickets to an upcoming Justin Timberlake concert.

I finished my journal barely in time to participate in the raffle. Even then, I wasn't sure if I could participate as I was just a new employee. After being encouraged by my lovely coworkers to participate, I tossed all of my raffle tickets into the Hawaii prize bucket and anxiously awaited the results. I remember talking to my boyfriend about how cool it would be to win but I never thought I would! I'm probably the unluckiest person when it comes to contests. But I won.


I remember coming back from lunch to find the email announcement with the winners. My coworker and I were reading it at the same time and I hear her say "It's the ticket right after mine!" I open my drawer, pull out my tickets and there it was, the winning ticket! I triple-checked the numbers to make sure I wasn't dreaming. After making sure I was awake, and the winner, I sent off the email to claim my prize.


As I was a new employee, I was told I had to wait until I had been working with the company 90 days before I could take the vacation. So, I waited. And waited. And waited a little bit more, thinking and dreaming of my Hawaii vacation. I didn't want to even start planning just in case something horrible happened and I was let go before my 90 days were up. Somehow I was patient enough (and didn't get fired); just last week was my "anniversary" and now I can officially begin planning!

To be honest, I have no idea where to begin. What do I want to do? Where do I want to go? It should be noted that I am absolutely terrified of the ocean/things in the ocean (mostly sharks). Nathan is pushing for us to go snorkeling and in a shark cage. I'm trying my best to be brave and I'm sure I will just do it but every time I think about it I'm basically frozen with fear. It's silly. That's what I get for being raised in the desert!

The most exciting thing about this trip is that it will be the first vacation that Nathan & I take together! Although we have moved across the country (twice), we have never officially taken a vacation.

If you have Hawaii suggestions, leave a comment!

4 comments:

  1. Ka'anapali Beach, on Maui, is great, and you should definitely go to a luau in old Lahaina. And whale watching is pretty great, too. Congratulations on finishing your happiness journal and winning such a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestions! I think we decided on the Big Island as we found the most adorable bed & breakfast to stay at. It is going to be amazing!!

      Delete
  2. Because of you and the movie "The Secret" I started a gratitude journal. I picked a very small one to start - 60+ pages and have already filled it! I was so surprised that I filled a journal as it was never a goal of mine, but what a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! Good job on finishing it. I never really expected much to change by filling out the happiness journal. It really was surprising to see how much it changed me.

      Delete