Sunday, March 9, 2014

Little Treasures

I collected a lot of things as a kid; ticket stubs, rocks, receipts, cameras and typewriters. As an adult, I still keep anything that could be remotely considered memorable or a keepsake. My collections these days are more function-based, things that I can use in my collages. Books to cut up, washi tape to stick down. That sort of thing. I find a lot of interesting books and I don't have any reservations taking scissors to their pages. Except for this treasure. I've always wanted to find an abandoned yearbook so imagine my delight when I found this yearbook from 1923.


The cover is just gorgeous and the students are as well!


Old sports uniforms are kind of my favorite. The girls' basketball team picture is just too much. I'm hoping that what they are pictured in wasn't their actual uniform but holy cow if so. Could you imagine running around in that? Yikes. I imagine their arm-mobility would be a bit limited for basketball with those long-sleeved shirts!


Um... how is it that we didn't have super cool clubs like this when I was in school? Office Dogs?! A club to learn about all things clerical?!


This yearbook is full of lovely people with perfect hair. And handwriting. I wonder when signing a yearbook switched from just signing your name to writing a message to the yearbook holder.

Needless to say, scissors will never find their way near this yearbook. I've scanned in my favorite pages to use in future digital collages though! I'll probably end up scanning the entire thing soon.


PS: I've started working on an artistamp!


2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic find, especially since it's from the 1920's. I have my dad's old yearbook from the 1950's. It's kind of cool to go through it read what people wrote to him. The slang terms crack me up. I went to high school in the 80's and we were still writing things in it besides signing our names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there were more personalized signatures in this yearbook! I think it's a lot of fun to read through the things people wrote. It always makes me a bit sad to see a yearbook in a store! I could never get rid of mine.

      Delete