Friday, October 11, 2013

Stamp Collecting


I've been going through my big box of postage. The collection was started by my father, somehow my mom ended up with it and then I kind of claimed ownership of it. I remember looking through the stamps at a young age and falling in love. Maybe it's the reason I'm so in love with mail today (like how Hocus Pocus made me want to learn how to play the drums and Monster Squad inspired me to learn German).


I have so many favorites from the collection. Vintage stamps are so beautiful to me; I love the artwork, colors, fonts and themes. The stamps in this collection are run of the mill, there aren't any misprints, rare ones or particularly old ones. I think the oldest stamp I have is from the 1930s.


All of the stamps are completely unused, with the exception of the First Day Covers, and in great condition. Over the last few years, I've been slowly adding to the collection with purchasing stamps I love with the intent of keeping them tucked away. My mom purchased the 2011 USPS Stamp Yearbook for me, which is a fantastic way to catalog the USPS stamp releases for the year. I'm looking to save up some money and purchase the yearbook for 2012 and future years.


I don't have it in my heart to actually use any of these stamps. They aren't worth anything but it's too much fun to occasionally look through them and admire them!

In addition to the US postage, I have a few international First Day Covers. These guys are my absolute favorites. The colors, season theme and postmarks on these stamps are just fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment